15 New Orleans New Year’s Resolutions for 2015
It’s a brand new year which means the opportunities for us to discover or become reacquainted with New Orleans are boundless. While others are busy trying to keep their resolutions to exercise more or have a healthy diet, we have 15 more exciting ways to make the most out of 2015. Whether or not you’re a visitor or a local, these 15 New Orleans resolutions are sure-fire ways to fall in love or reignite your love affair with the Crescent City.
1. Go Beyond Bourbon Street – Although the French Quarter is undoubtedly a top New Orleans attraction, New Orleans is made up of many different neighborhoods all with their own unique vibe. And just a short drive outside Orleans Parish is a whole different world of Louisiana culture and landscape. On your next trip, pay a visit to other neighborhoods like Mid-City, Bywater or the Riverbend and for the most authentic bayou experience, escape to the swamp on a Jean Lafitte Swamp Tour, the closest swamp tour to New Orleans.
2. Cruise the Mississippi – Because New Orleans is a port city, we have the Mighty Mississippi right in our backyard. Explore this magnificent waterway and enjoy expansive views of the city on a riverboat cruise. The Paddlewheeler Creole Queen offers daily cruises to the Chalmette Battlefield and nightly Dinner Jazz cruises.
3. Go to Mardi Gras – Mardi Gras, which is now officially underway, is indeed the greatest free party on earth. If you’ve never been, it’s worth it to experience the most culture, music, art and celebration all in one place. Need to arrange lodging? Destination Management, Inc. offers four-night Mardi Gras packages with great rooms at the Astor Crowne Plaza.
4. Try new restaurants – New Orleans is known for its incredible food, and with the classic mainstays and innovative newcomers constantly cropping up, there is no shortage of offers. A great place to start is with On the Town concierge’s diverse mix of restaurant members that include both traditional and modern dining options.
5. Play tourist – Tourist attractions are there for a reason – they offer a fun and easy way to enjoy the many charms of the city. On the Town’s tour members, including City Sightseeing Hop-On Hop-Off buses, Haunted History Tours, City Segway Tours, Bullfrog Bike Tours and Mardi Gras World all offer tours of different cultural aspects and top attractions of New Orleans.
6. Go to festivals – New Orleans is a festival city. Right after Mardi Gras begins festival season, including French Quarter Fest, Seafood Fest, Bayou Boogaloo, BUKU Music + Art Project, and of course, the mother of them all – Jazz Fest. Jazz Fest is unique in that it equally celebrates music, food and art. Come experience the amazing New Orleans tradition with DMI’s Jazz Fest travel packages with a range of lodging options for the first and second weekends.
7. Learn Creole cooking – If you love the food of New Orleans, learn how to cook it from the experts. On the Town member Langlois, an interactive cooking school in the Faubourg Marigny that is perfect for groups, parties and team building.
8. Join a second line – One of New Orleans’ cultural phenomenons is a second line, which is a procession following a jazz or brass band that anyone can join in on. All that’s required is a little dancing and having a great time. Check the second line season schedule for second line parades most Sunday afternoons in New Orleans.
9. See a New Orleans Jazz legend – In New Orleans, we’re spoiled with amazing music every single night of the week. You can see local legends like Irvin Mayfield at Irvin Mayfield’s Jazz Playhouse, Jeremy Davenport at the Davenport Lounge, John Boutte at d.b.a. and a variety every night at On the Town member Snug Harbor on Frenchmen Street.
10. Absorb New Orleans history – New Orleans has history lurking around every corner, and the best way to learn about it and experience it is to visit a historical site, like the Cabildo in Jackson Square, the Chalmette Battlefield and St. Louis Cemetery No. 1.
11. Get outdoors – This is a great way to keep your New Year’s resolution to stay healthy. Enjoy the outdoors in New Orleans by kayaking on Bayou St. John, taking a bike tour or jogging down the St. Charles streetcar line.
12. Go to a Saints game – The New Orleans Saints have the best fans in the NFL. The team spirit and community is so strong and there is nothing like the Saints play a home game at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. Book your home or away game ticket and lodging packages with DMI.
13. Get cultured – Besides music and food, New Orleans has excellent theater and museums. You can’t go wrong with On the Town museum members Audubon Aquarium, Audubon Zoo, Audubon Insectarium and National World War II Museum. See fascinating theater at the Saenger and Le Petit Theater, both in the French Quarter.
14. Imbibe – Although you have your choice of libations in New Orleans, try one of our signature classic cocktails like the Sazerac, Pimm’s Cup, Bloody Mary and Ramos Gin Fizz for a true taste of New Orleans.
15. Ride the Streetcar – The New Orleans streetcar is a historic attraction and the oldest of its type of transportation in the United States. Riding the St. Charles or Canal Street streetcar is a great way to feel connected to New Orleans history, while touring the city and stopping at attractions along the way.